Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Aiden Designed It.

I was playing with my seven year old grandson in my sewing room when he decided he needed a new blanket. He started going through my boxes of fabric and with a little editing from Grandma we came up with some fabric for his new blanket. I cut the fabric into 8 1/2" squares and let him "design" his own quilt on the design wall. Here is the result:


I faithfully sewed things together in the order he had them on the design wall.  That was it for Saturday.  Sunday morning I pin basted the quilt using some Fairfield 80/20 batting and some DS picnic fabric for the backing.  He wanted to put decorative stitches through the center of each block.  I let him pick.  My Singer has lots of decorative stitches to choose from.  Some work better on three layers of fabric than others.  It is all his quilt though.  I used leftover fabric for binding.

Here is the final result.


The only thing his Mom had to say was:  "Nice colors" and "You used a lot of different stitches".  She did like her blue hexagon pillow though.  My grandson and I had a great time and it is all his quilt from choosing fabric through the quilting.  

5 comments:

  1. What fun....and wonderful memories...I am sure he was thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute quilt and what a sweet story behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww that is so sweet. What a fun way to spend the day with your grandson. I just love it. Aiden did a fantastic job.
    Hugs
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww that is so sweet. What a fun way to spend the day with your grandson. I just love it. Aiden did a fantastic job.
    Hugs
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. That quilt will always hold wonderful memories for him.

    ReplyDelete