I started making the Catvent quilt blocks from Elizabeth Hartmann. I ordered the pattern this morning. (See rules below). We are using the blocks for our charity blocks for the Austin Modern Quilt Guild. I am also making extra blocks for a raffle quilt for a cat rescue charity that I like.
I used charm squares that I had from a rainbow charm square swap and my stash of solids and low volume fabrics. These things looked easy to make but there are a lot of little pieces. They are 4 1/2" by 5 1/2". It took me most of the day to do eight blocks. There are twenty blocks to make the small wall quilt.
The rules for Fabriholics Anonymous are as follows:
- To use the Stash I already have!
- Finish UFOs without distraction by shifting to other new beautiful fabric.
- Stop the insanity of constantly buying the latest and greatest fabric.
- Save the $$ I spend on stashing.
- Destash the fabrics that I realize I am never going to use.
FABRIC FAST RULES:
1) No fabric purchases for 6 months beginning January 1, 2014.
2) At 6 months reevaluate status and decide whether to keep going for full year. Evaluation July 1, 2014.
3) Create a UFO list and complete them!
- Backing: purchasing a backing to finish a quilt top is permissible. However, attempting to use fabric in your possession for a backing is preferable.
- Books and Magazine purchases are allowed as they are not fabric. Notions acceptable too.
My own exceptions:
- Binding fabric if necessary
- Batting - I only have five twin and one queen size and about two quilts worth left on my batting roll.
- Patterns that help me use up said stash if I cannot find anything suitable in the books and magazines that I have on hand.